Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Events to not forget and Events trying hard to forget

Finally I am back. But sadly I was sick last week and this week again. My sickness is a very funny sick actually. I am not describing it here, thank you very much. I went for a wedding and an engagement, one in KL the other in Ipoh. It was so tiring yet so fun. Met all my cousins and my aunts and uncles, it was fun. My cousin looked beautiful in a partial Malayali saree. The wedding was fairly simple, nothing grand. The night before we all met up at her house for a dinner thrown by her father, its a culture thing. So you see it was a Saturday night and me and my family left in the morning, but we had a flat tyre on the highway(my first experience) then we got out for a while. Stopped for food and refreshments and finally arrived in KL after 7 hours, for something that takes 4 hours. But it was a fun trip. My beloved cousin was here with us in the car. He made the whole mood so light and fun. Then we met up with his parents who were in KL earlier then us, by 1 hour actually. Then we followed them all the way to my cousins house in (of course) some hosh-posh place up the hill at Sungai Buloh. So you see us kids and parents thought we were there for some small miniature family gathering that had no resonance whatsoever. We wore clothes that was comfortable for a 4 hour ride, that which bytheway if you haven't notice took 7. So whatever was comfort was left as trashy clothes. And you know how comfort clothes are never nice. But heck, we were tired and it was already 7pm. We reached the place, got down and tried to press out those overly huge frills on our clothes, a little powder touch up, hair combing and hoping and wishing we smell good enough, we strut ourselves into the porch in shabs and well, rags.

Of course it was a small party, why then would there be tents? Right? OK, breathe. We walked in and at the same time, then suddenly my uncle's side of people streched their car right in front of the porch. Of course we were(if I may put it this way) "jet lagged" after the whole journey. We didn't give two-hoots how they got out of their car, with the posh Gold Audi and the wind blowing right in the face, but of course God made it great by letting it rain just then. Woohoo!! There two unfamiliar faces, then another three, further small gnomes came running out and two woman and then another man and another. It went out until 3 pairs of family made their presence there with a set of grandma and grandad for the added spice. My family were four pairs. Not that much though. Although, when you compare with the kids, they were just mere toddlers. I mean the oldest was still clutching to his mom and he's like what 21? Well out of all of the Brady bunch, only one was looking quite good. That too was because he was wearing good clothes. Seriously,. the people there O-M-G. The women were wearing flashy Punjabi suits with shining sequence and the some of the children were wearing clothes as if they were going clubbing(mainly two actually, but its always more then one, as I say). But of course that's where it stops, the small girls we wearing simple house hold clothes and their fathers were of course, in traditional Kurta tops and some with working Shirts. It was a fairly bit small party with nothing high five. But I was in rage. Actually me and all my cousins. We were expecting like shabby dressed people arriving and making their presence but this people took it a notch by wearing flashy materials. My young cousin bro and me were standing at the door like some dumb shits waiting for something to happen. Then all of a sudden, the lovely auntie across the hallway called her boys, which were like 6 of them(ranging from gnomes to bigger gnomes[OK not that bad]). So they all came with this big style of theirs shaking our hands and saying their names and we introduced ourselves too. I said my name wrongly(Oh don't mock me!) because the stupid that I am, I was nervous. That happens to me to everyone new I meet. After the whole ice-breaking session they walked off and we just sat there. All my cousins then followed suit and gathered at one corner which was at the entrance of the house a.k.a the door, for a moment I guess all of us just forgot our do's and dont's. Unlike those timid church mouse side of my uncles who are just giggled and chuckled away, us cousins were having a blast, bitching and talking about well *ehem* stuffs. Then I just look at those gnomes there, turned to cousin brother and whispered "...they'll cry tomorrow...". He looked at me, noticed my evil-cold glare and agreed. Let them have this miserable day to themselves. We'll show what we have tomorrow.

So the next day came, the big wedding ceremony that took place in a temple in Jalan Ipoh. It was a quaint little place. Although, the hall that they took to walk was long. Really long. The food was delicious. It was totally vegetarian. Me and my young lil' cousin decided to buy the same 'jeepa'(male Indian clothes. That's when he stayed with us for a week. It was nice set of clothes. We got it cheap) and coincidentally my sister and my cousin sister(my young cousin brothers sister) bought the same 'lengga'(another female Indian clothes) in the same colour. Coincidence, mind you. But it was really nice seeing the both of them, they looked really gorgeous. My sister of course was the better half. And a guy flirted with her(Yay for you!).My another cousin sister wore a beautiful long 'lengga' in a dark purple top and bright pink bottom. Mom wore this beautiful saree that I chose that gave a beauty of Malayali that will take the other ladies a run for their lives. Dad wore a simple working top. My aunt wore a glittering orange and black saree that made her look like a model of the runway catwalk. Her husband, my friendly uncle wore a long red 'jeepa'. Well, the thing is we all looked just as gorgeous as anything can be. Bright colours here and there but with the constant Malyali thing to fall back on we all looked really nice. I loved how we look. We look like a billion dollars. I cant put the pictures here now, mainly because I haven't downloaded it on my notebook yet. Patience people.

Oh bytheway, the other side of my uncle's side were now in shabs and rags.Looked like the table took one heckuva spin. It was comforting to know that we looked better then all of them even if they were combined and multiplied by a million. They were wearing this simple rubbish red kurtha's that made them look older then my dead grandad whose 6 feet under(bless his soul). None of them looked Malayali that day. All looked like Tamil-lians. Not that it was bad but it was a Malayali wedding and they are Malayali's. Haven't they heard of the saying " dress for the occasion"? Talk about KL life style. Looks like us in Penang and Ipoh knows how to get heads turning, all they did was getting themselves mistaken as the janitors of the temple(if they have on that is). Furious is beyond what I am getting at. It was wedding for Pete's sake. Your own bloody cousins sister's wedding. At least where something that proves you are part of the wedded family. With yellow crocs sandal that looks so fake at the first look and bright cheap blue jeans and a dark cloudy maroon jeepa, frankly my maid dressed up better then them. But I guess, that's how partying in KL is. Fashion for the smalls one's and rags for the big one's.

Anyways, at the end of the day it was a sweet wedding done. We were all cam whoring with one another. Oh, there was a hot girl who gave me 'the' look but I just have her a flirted look and walked off. Sometimes, the mood has to be there. We left for home right after that. It was a good experience.

For the engagement on the other hand, that was a D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R. The only one who looked nice was my of course engaged cousin(that too because I told her to take off the thick golden belt around her waist) and another cousin of mine. I was busy putting up chairs and tables and flagging of table clothes all over. It was an experience all right, but it was DISASTER still. My younger cousin and his brother were helping so much. Alot of things wouldn't have been done if it wasn't because of them. It was in Ipoh bytheway. In the house. You can imagine the heat, lack of oxygen and bright yellow lights. The food was bad and some people were already hallucinating under the 'spotlights' and most, like me, was sweating profusely like a pig. Another event that will not go off my mind, as much as I want too. My cousin is coming again to stay with me next week for a week. Woohoo!!! This time my eldest uncle is following for a two week stay as his wife flew off to India to purge her sins, although I don't think God will forgive her much. But anyways, I do'nt hope for another Taj Mahal bombing happening wherever she goes ;)

No comments: